Community | RoboIntern
Copy PDF File to S: when created in D: Folder - Printable Version

+- Community | RoboIntern (https://robointern.tech/community)
+-- Forum: RoboIntern Forum (https://robointern.tech/community/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: How To / Q&A (https://robointern.tech/community/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Copy PDF File to S: when created in D: Folder (/showthread.php?tid=344)

Copy PDF File to S: when created in D: Folder - CraigS26 - 05-07-2020

When I Save a new Monthly PDF Statement to a Folder on the D: Drive I want the app to Copy it to the Same Folder in a USB S: bkup drive.
After setting up the Copy function Paths D to S ...  the Trigger of - File Created - and the Path entered in D: for where the Save To of the New PDF File goes, -- OPEN --  is all that's offered - SO I'm using the wrong Logic - IF this can be done at all.

Any help is appreciated. Love the App.

RE: Copy PDF File to S: when created in D: Folder - RoboIntern - 05-08-2020

Hi CraigS26,

Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear you find the app useful! Smile

If I understood correctly, you could add an additional second action - the copying - in the same task that's creating the PDF, That way it's ensured that once it's done, it would also copy the new file.

Let me know if it worked.

Take care,
Tom

RE: Copy PDF File to S: when created in D: Folder - CraigS26 - 05-08-2020

Thanks Tom, but I'm just lost on the logic.
Monthly I - Save As - a new PDF to a D:\Folder;

I don't know How to tell RI that WHEN a New PDF is Added to the D: Folder (via Save As) then Copy it to the Folder in S: per the Path entered.

You can't use ... Add: Task: Copy a unique File ... because you can't name a Path & File that doesn't exist until you do a - Save As -  in W10 Explorer.

So when I try - Copy a Folder -  from D to S with the Trigger being -- WHEN a - FILE CREATED (in the D folder)-  -- in Add: Action: Copy Folder ... the Source is the D: Folder path and Target is the S: Path.

My logic is the Trigger should be ... Status: File Created ...  (ie) when a new File is Created in D: Folder Copy it to the S Path (& I presume you must Copy the Entire Folder just to include the added File - WHICH causes a New issue: IF you keep - Overwrite - the entire Folder is Overwritten - IF you Un-chk Overwrite would all other Folder Files be doubled OR would Only the New File be added as IS the Preference?).

BUT, when I clk to the D: Folder for Trigger Path it Only Offers  - OPEN - so "when a new file is created in specified D: Folder" cannot Happen - and THERE is where I crash.

I need a " Insert Tab 1 into Slot A" type Help. Many Thanks IF you have the time.

RE: Copy PDF File to S: when created in D: Folder - RoboIntern - 05-09-2020

Craig, I wonder can you not rename the PDF with RoboIntern instead of manually doing it in Windows Explorer? Like when you create the PDF (from a Word document I assume), just enter the target filename as myFile_NEW.pdf? And afterwards the file created trigger should pick it up.

RE: Copy PDF File to S: when created in D: Folder - CraigS26 - 05-09-2020

(05-09-2020, 07:59 PM)RoboIntern Wrote: Craig, I wonder can you not rename the PDF with RoboIntern instead of manually doing it in Windows Explorer? Like when you create the PDF (from a Word document I assume), just enter the target filename as myFile_NEW.pdf? And afterwards the file created trigger should pick it up.
The PDF is a Monthly Visa Statement that opens to View and I do a - Save As -- (ie) (bal owed) -- $XXXX.XX To 5-4-20 -- with the Balance Owed & month dates changing each month.
Copy D to S with Overwrite isn't correct; It's a Folder Modified with a New PDF added. I can't see How to do it with RI as there is No Consistency in the Name.

It's not life or death; Just enjoyed trying to do this but I really can't see how to use RI where a Folder Modified is about New Files added with No Name Repeat - all are unique names.  Thanks, anyway.

5/18/20 EDIT: I've got Copy-Overwrite D: Car Maint.xlsx to S: Car Maint .xlsx WITH a Trigger of the D: Car Maint.xlsx Being Modified -- and nothing happens. A Manual Copy works Fine but THIS Proves the App and I don't think alike.