• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
File Created Trigger
hi Paule,

Thanks for the feedback. It looks that an error occurs in the copy file part - I wonder in the main UI could you go with the mouse over the 'Error' text and let me know what you see displayed?
It says

The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\Radio\Music\Podcasts\Audio News - SRN News\SRN Hourly News 03-30-21 – 04-00 AM CDT.mp3' because it is being used by another process.
Ah i see, thanks for the info!

I'll check what could be causing this let you know once I find something.
Just had a look and found the issue - it's trying to overwrite a file (an mp3) which is currently open.

In the copy file action you'll need to set the 'If file exists' to 'Do nothing'.

However, I also had to make a small update to the code, so please download the app again from the website. With that all should be fine I hope Smile
(04-09-2021, 07:39 PM)RoboIntern Wrote: Just had a look and found the issue - it's trying to overwrite a file (an mp3) which is currently open.

In the copy file action you'll need to set the 'If file exists' to 'Do nothing'.

However, I also had to make a small update to the code, so please download the app again from the website. With that all should be fine I hope Smile

Have reinstalled and made the change to 'Do nothing' but still getting the same error message (ie the file is being used by another process) when the podcast file is written to the folder by the podcast subscription program in a live situation. It does this once an hour.

If I copy an mp3 file and paste it into the folder then the trigger and tasks do run without error.

Could it be that the trigger action starts as soon as the file begins to download but because it is not fully downloaded then the first task cannot run because the trigger is still working on the file ?  A layman's guess is all that is.

The Time trigger continues to execute perfectly.
Ahh, that could indeed be the issue that it's still downloading..for now then I recommend to stick to the time based approach.

In the meantime I'll think about this could be resolved.

Thanks for the update by the way!
I've just had a look at the download behavior of Chrome and Firefox: Chrome doesn't create the file until it has actually finished downloading, while Firefox creates a 0kb file with the actual name and another one with the name plus the '.part' extension, where downloaded data is temporarily stored. I guess I could check if a .part file exists, and in this case wait with firing the trigger. However, this would be a very specific hack, so I'll still think about whether to implement this.
The files I download come via Media Monkey so that may have something to do with it. That said ... I have nearly found a way that works but still have one niggle that is upsetting the apple cart as they say.

I have set up a file task sequence that goes, Rename, Move, Copy. The file is renamed, moved to another folder and from that new folder is then copied to another folder. The end result works for my needs but, by using the Timing trigger, sometimes it will run to schedule when no new file has arrived. When this happens it produces an Error which is fine in that I still end up with right file in the right folder that I need. The problem is ... once the Error has occurred the Timing Trigger remains switched Off - in the Next Run column remains blank. 

Is there a way to have it so that if it produces an Error it will still carry on and run the next Timing trigger ? ie just to have the Error message as a warning only but for it to not stop running future schedules triggers ?

Thx
Is there a way to have an Action ... Reset Task ?

This can be done manually but to have it as an option on the Actions menu so that it runs automatically at the end of the other Actions would solve the issue.

Again, thx for your patience in looking at this.
Hi Paule,

Thanks for the feedback, very useful - absolutely, I'll look into creating a new flag for tasks, whereby one can define what happens if the task results in error: Deactivate it or keep the scheduling on. Will look into this this weekend.